Sunday, September 21, 2014

Why Should I or You Volunteer For India Inclusion Summit (IIS) 2014?

My urge to volunteer for a thought provoking cause like India Inclusion Summit (IIS) 2014, all started when I started reading the book “GIFTED” gifted to me by a friend.

“Gifted” truly touched me with the inspiring stories of people with disabilities. The undying spirits of the differently abled and their way to victory in a road of hurdles kept me in awe.

Later when I read couple of posts in Facebook hinting me about upcoming IIS 2014 event, I got even more curious. 



I felt if I get a chance I must volunteer for IIS 2014 event.


….and I got a chance sooner, registered for the same via a Facebook post by IIS.

Now as a volunteer for IIS, my mind started asking me several questions. I wanted to clearly understand the purpose and the need for inclusive society before starting my campaign of bringing awareness on inclusion. So I put forth a question in our volunteering group “Why do you volunteer for IIS 2014?”

Here are a compilation of few answers that I received from IIS volunteers:

1.       "poor" accessibility for persons with disabilities,

       "poor" awareness of the different abled ,
       "poor" intervention for persons with disabilities"
       "poor" education and work opportunities.

Quickly strike out the"poor" and at least gear the country toward an "average"

2.       Every special child must be included in a mainstream society to make our society more tolerant and harmonious. Each one is capable of contributing their bit to the society.

3.       Break the cultural, societal silence and inhibition over the issue of inclusion. Most of us live in denial and ignorance. We must come and see these inspirational personalities and realize that they form a resource pool in our society and we have to have an inclusive approach to utilize these resources and reap the maximum benefit for our society.

4.       Make people come out of their prejudiced view and accept disability with an open mind and heart

5.       Improve accessibility and assistance to the differently abled to lead a respectful and independent life.

6.       Bring a general understanding that these disable enjoy same constitutional rights as all others in the society

7.       Let the barrier between abled and disabled start melting slowly with our efforts through summits like IIS

After I started analyzing about the need for inclusion, I too realized,

Disability might not be a real problem for the differently abled. They know how to strive forward. Rather the main handicap in their lives is “Ignorance and Inclusion”.

I volunteer to break my silence and raise my voice for “Inclusion”.

Do you wish too?

No comments: