Tuesday, September 23, 2014

A Glimpse of an Inclusive Society

A status update of my friend in Facebook read

“How often does it happen to you that you come across a new word or a phrase and then you see it everywhere, like in books, papers, words spoken by people, etc.? Then you wonder, why didn't I see or hear it before! “

I commented saying yes, I have experienced the same quite often and that it’s the magic of our mind.

Today, I experience it again!

It’s been a week or so since I came across this term “inclusion” through India Inclusion Summit (IIS). Before volunteering for IIS I never knew what inclusion meant and if there was any need for inclusive society.But now after being aware and registering inclusion, inclusive society strongly into my mind, I never miss any chance to watch or make note of any inclusive act wherever it has been executed.

A glimpse of inclusive society that I saw:
·         My first sight of inclusive society was at India Inclusion Summit (2013)



·         Next, at State Bank Of India (SBI) Mangalore, a label “Counter for Differently Abled” caught my attention. Firstly I was surprised to see the usage of the term “differently abled “in place of stereotyped “disabled”. Secondly, special accessible counters for the differently abled, made me feel very happy for I was witnessing a glimpse of an inclusive society live.

·         Thereafter, I stumbled on another inclusive act of SBI, constructing ramps and placing wheel chairs in ATM booths for the differently abled in Dimapur.

·         At a child development centre, where I learnt the differently abled make some souvenirs, I was enthused to see how few corporate respected their work and got few goodies made by them for their conferences, official usage etc even at a dearer price. Isn’t this inclusion?


·         Today in TV I saw a promo of the show Satyameva Jayate in star plus, where they showed how a city in India Gwalior had become an inclusive, Accessible Gwalior . I felt wow! We are already gearing up towards an Inclusive India.

It feels good to see we are inclusive to some extent already. May be lack of awareness is what stops us from creating a full-fledged inclusive society.  If you have witnessed any act of inclusion or inclusive society do share it with us at indiainclusionsummit@gmail.com. 


Join us at India Inclusion Summit, support inclusion. Let us share the good will and create an Inclusive India together!! 


No comments: