Friday, November 2, 2007

My team story

I was waiting since Wednesday to write something on my team..... Each day I post something related to my daily activities here...Sometimes I write about the learnings I have got on that particular day and sometimes...about something that has amused me and so on....

Similarly on wednesday again one small event moved me and I thought ok..today I am going to post about my Team. But due to lack of time I could not write until today.... Ok now I start with the story of How our team formed...

There is no big story behind it...but I see it this way...


Its been a year since I am working for my current organization..... When I joined, there were 3 in the team and including me 4. At the initial stage, I interacted very little with my team, I was always scared..I was very precarious in my interactions. I thought ok..this is just my first month that's y it's like this and that the situation will be better after few months.... I always used to bemoan to my mom saying I feel very lonely at the workplace and my mom always said..just concentrate on your work and don't expect everyone to talk like you always :-(....


It just went on and on.....and then as I expected the situation was little better after 3 months.....
I used to interact well...I came to know my team mates..I took some piece of advice from my Manager and then everything was fine.... But it was just a 100% professional atmosphere and no scope for enjoyment..I felt this way...

Then to worsen the situation more...2 from my team resigned and went away...when everything was getting well.....and then came 3 new faces, 1 among them was my close friend so again it was ok to me.... but still when My friends working in other organization used to tell about their team I always used to feel bad...ahhh...y m I got getting a chance to be in a good Team atmosphere like my friends have....
But that was not very far.....

Today we are in a team of five(including my manager) and I have got to experience the environment that I was wishing for.....
We are four in our cubicle and one of our colleague sits in a different place.... Since we all were involved in different tasks, we never interacted much...

But finally our Manager brought us together for one task...and I think that paved way to the formation of a good team....Team building started from there... We met quite often to discuss something on the common task...and it went on just like that....
So that common task was nothing but a development of an application... and I was so happy that even in the absence of our manager we all were so responsibly meeting and discussing about it.... This is what had happened on Wednesday....

I was pinging my colleague for some queries on the new application and then he said...we all will gather again and discuss regarding the latest updates...and the venue was our Coffee corner....

I have always seen group of people sitting there and chatting and I have wished also sometimes even our team should be there..... not just be there but converse on something useful.... and it was 4.00 p.m we all gathered at Coffee corner..Manager was not there...At that point of time..I was not amused..Infact I thought the meeting will not be so effective...But incontrast to my thoughts..the meeting was very effective and we discussed seriously and it was even mixed with some humour....

One of my colleague suggested that we should have such discussion everyday after lunch...so that we can get away with our sleep ;-)........
And when I came back to my desk..I was just thinking about it and feeling very happy and proud.... And today again..... when we met for discussion I was so happy that all the points discussed on the previous were thought of and worked on accordingly......

I think this was all due to the gathering that we had few days back in the evening...When we all got an opportunity to know each other better and build a friendly and good team....
We got succinct view from our manager about each of our strengths and weakness, and also some motivational talks that has driven us to work towards making our team a rocking team in all aspects....

So that was all about my small happy team....and Akshatha has some scope for enjoyment even at her workplace ;-) these days!

No comments: