Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Deepavali - The Festival of lights


Here I am out early during the day to share my elation on the occasion of Deepavali! Deepavali or Diwali the "Festival of lights" is celebrated all thought out India with lamps and fireworks signifying the victory of good over the evil. There are numerous stories in the holy books of Hindus on Deepavali.

In this post I am just going to unfold my sweet memories that I have always had during this special occasion..

Diwali (using the shorter for my convenience) has been one of my favourite festival since my childhood....
The main attraction of this occasion is nothing but the "Fireworks"..... and for me...a week Holiday or a holiday of 3-4 days that I used to get in my school days...New dress....Sweets and so on....
Just 2 to 3 months prior to Diwali My dad used to hand over a list of crackers to my and brother and ask us to give him the order, so that he could get them for us.... My God the way I and my bro sit together and make our entries is really unforgettable...We both r best friends for that moment... and take care that we give a good list of crackers within a reasonable budget.....

and then when it's just a month left for Diwali we start pestering our Dad daily with this question.... "Dad...have the crackers arrived?" And then finally my Dad says yes and I and my bro would fight saying I either of us would accompany him to get the crackers home.... and then the crackers are at home..

n I and my bro r best friends again.....
n then we start planning.....Until the final (Diwali)day we plan what all crackers to burst and how much..so that we have enough to show off on diwali day...n also I used to help my bro dry all the crackers under the sunlight so that the crackers blast with enormous sound....(I really do not know how much it helped and who told us..but we used to follow it obediently..)...If I think of all those kiddish acts...Just a sneak smile crosses my mind and lips....

N now the Final day comes....and my bro wakes me up in the midnight "Akshatha...come lets go n do it".... and I shout at him without realizing that he is calling to burst the crackers...n somehow I get up and we burst atom bombs in the midnight...for few mins.....and then a voice comes from our parent's...don't burst now..every body is sleeping...but we never opened our ears...for all those..n just had fun....

Then again we start early in the morning..we wake up everyone with our Atom bombs...My uncle gets up..and he gives us a surprise...He has got few more crackers..my God ...I and my get enlightened more....and then we continue till 8.00 a.m..when our mom comes with the oil can....I being very never used to trouble my mom..but my bro used to run around..ad he hated having oil bath..somehow my mom catches him..he makes a dirty face..and then Our uncle offers the new dress after pooja....

and then we taste the Delicious.."Idli vada sambar" and watch special programs in TV for a while, go to temple, some relatives come in to our house..

and then most awaited evening comes...when around 5.30 I and my bro start with 1000 walas, flowerpot etc...all our family members are out watching and celebrating the ocassion with us...and by 8.00 we get exhausted..then we sit n watch our nighbours burst...n 9.00 p.m we get in home saying...Dis year Diwali finished and when will it come next ... ;-(....


Then when the school reopens we were our new dress to school..which was also fun......

SO all those were during my childhood days..now also its not changed much....We have one more partner with us now..we still celebrate Diwali with the same enthusiasm...n our parents keep wondering when we will change....

Only once I had missed celebrating Deepavali with my Family..when I was in college...but still I had a cherish able memory when all my friends got together went to one of our Friend's house and bursted crackers in the terrace..and one of my friend thinking that she was doing some stunt also threw a bijili cracker on me..Luckily nothing happened...but all those moments are really beautiful.......

The entire office building is adorned with beautiful flowers and lights and all the people around here are just moving around in ethnic wears....This has enhanced the joy of Diwali....and elated me more...


Now I am just waiting to leave early from office....catch my train....go home... n celebrate the occasion with my Family tomorrow....... I am soooooo excited.... I love the festival of lights.......Amazing Festival!!!!!!!1 Akshatha

No comments: