Sunday, October 21, 2007

Vijayadashami - Auspicious day to start anything

The sun shined on my face at 9.00 a.m today....Slowly I opened my eyes.... Saw the watch..oh my God! It was 9.00....ahh..I missed my early morning walk...then I thought for a minute should I get up?However I have missed my walk...Even my friend is happily sleeping.....I was feeling so lazy and sleepy...... Then somehow I made up my mind and got up..... I was feeling too lazy to get up cook and continue with the rest of the days' activities..... Then I remembered how I wated my Saturday without thinking anything... So again I thought for a minute and made my plan for the whole..I had lots to do..



Slowly then I brushed my teeth, washed the utensils and went out to get some milk.... I know it was Vijayadashami today ...but did not feel anything great about it... Atleast if I was in my hoetown I would have joined my Dance class and danced in the Special day function..... but now not possible ;-( .... To my surprise I saw my entire street active cleaning the shops...getting ready for the pooja...etc..It was not at all like a dull Sunday....Seeing that even I was pumped up with energy.... Even I though I will clean my house cook good food and have fun....



So to say few words about Vijayadashami.....



It is considered to be an auspicious day to begin new things in life.In Southern India, Eastern India and Western India, the festival of Navaratri which culminates with Vijayadashami commemorates the legend in which the Goddess Durga, also known as Chamundeshwari or Mahishasura Mardini, vanquishes the demon Mahishasura, an event that is said to have taken place in the vicinity of the present day city of Mysore in Karnataka.



So whenever I was at home, during my childhood days..we used to have lots of fun in our dance class as well as at home. At home my dad and my uncle used to clean the shop and offer pooja to God and then distribute the prasad to everyone.... Even our vehicles are cleaned that day and adorned with beautiful Garlands, kumkum, chandan etc....



In our dance class practice for the special day function starts 2 weeks earlier...All the students right from the Junior to senior groups, including our teacher perform on the stage. We offer Gurudakshina to our Guru,take the blessings...and then perform on the stage.... Even our parents are invited... It starts early in the morning by 7.00 and ends by 9.oo...



Ours was an Academy of arts...so we had students from different arts performing on stage...Singing, Dancing, Playing Violin, Mridangam , Key board etc....



I miss all that very much.... All the people in my street made me remember that.. When I was out to get milk I was shocked to see people decorating their shops, vehicles etc with flowers, getting themselves ready for pooja.... All of them were so excited about this special day... There was an opening of new Dental clinic, one new shop etc... I could see people dressed up well in new saree, going to temple, relatvies in my neigbours house etc....



So even I became active, came home, prepared good breakfast, lunch.. and then called my Dance teacher to take her blessings...As I had imagined..they had the function in a special way.... In the evening I also got ready..I prayed god and even I danced at home.... I did not want to lose this art....My dance teacher used to tell me..not to miss to dance on this special day...It is equivalent to dancing the whole year.. So I danced at home for few mins....



In the noon I got a call from my mom...after hearing from my aunt that I was confused the whole day yesterday she called me, told me a short story(Will share it in some other post when required) which boosted me up again with good thoughts and lot of courage....



I am very much blissed by this day and as the day indicates even I hope to start a new phase in my life....I threw away all the remaining negative thoughts in me and hope to see a good beautiful life ahead!

As the name indicates "Vijaya(Victory)Dashami" Start new things with good hope and Excel in everything that you do....

and now I shall go for a short walk and enjoy the amazing cool, cloudy evening!



No comments: